This recipe for lemon sole goujons is, to us, the very pinnacle of fried fish dishes. The Cornish lemon sole and crunchy coating of panko breadcrumbs will make all fish lovers smile. Especially with a squeeze of lemon and a liberal serving of tartare sauce.
Rick says: "Lemon sole, I love you."
- 350g lemon sole fillet, skinned
- 25g flour
- 2 eggs
- 50g panko breadcrumbs
- Pinch of salt
- 1 lemon
1) To cut the lemon sole into goujons, slice the fillet diagonally to make long pieces of about the size of your little finger and spinkle with salt.
2) Beat the eggs together and put in a second dish or tray and put the breadcrumbs in a third. Set the deep-fryer to 190C, or heat some oil in a large pan to the same temperature. A temperature probe comes in handy for this.
3) Dip the goujons first in the seasoned flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs and deep-fry until golden brown (around a minute to 90 seconds). Be careful not to over fill the fryer or pan as this will reduce the temperature of the oil.
4) Drain on kitchen paper and serve with the lemon cut into wedges and the tartare sauce.
It's as simple as those four steps. Have some fun making Rick's goujons with Cornish lemon sole at home and keep an eye out for more recipes to try soon.