Rick says "Next to raw oysters in the shell, this is my favourite oyster dish. In Chinese restaurants they tend to cook the oysters comprehensively, but I like them just set."
- 20 raw oysters
- 2.5cm fresh ginger, very finely chopped
- 7.5cm cucumber
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp Chinese fermented salted black beans, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dry sherry
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
1) Preheat the grill to high. Open the oysters, and pour away half the liquor.
2) Nestle the oysters on a heatproof platter covered in a thick layer of salt or in the grill pan so they can’t roll over during cooking.
3) Sprinkle each one with the chopped ginger and set aside.
Cut the cucumber into 2.5cm pieces, then cut each piece into matchsticks. Mix with the coriander and chives and set aside.
4) Put the black beans into a small pan with the garlic, soy sauce, sherry and sesame oil. Leave over a very low heat to warm through.
5) Grill the oysters for 3 minutes.
6) Sprinkle a little of the cucumber mixture over each one. Spoon over a little of the sauce and serve immediately.