Rick’s staple fish stock is quick, easy to make and packed with flavour. Be thrifty and use the fish bones from your recent seafood creation to make stock at home that's perfect for sauces, soups or even risotto.
Makes around 1 litre of stock
750g fish bones, any white fish - like lemon sole, cod, hake or bass (never use oily fish bones)
1.5 litres water
Glass of white wine
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic
1 fennel bulb, chopped
100g celery, sliced
100g carrot, chopped
Herbs - thyme, parsley, chives, bay leaves
Spinkle of salt and a grind of pepper
1) First of all, chop the vegetables and herbs and add to a large pot on the hob with the butter.
2) Allow the vegetables to sweat, but do not colour, before adding the fish bones and wine.
3) Add the salt and pepper and allow to sweat again for a few minutes before topping up with water (which should just cover all your bones and vegetables).
4) Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
5) Finally, strain through a fine sieve.