1. Scale, gut and trim the whiting. Twist the fish into a circle so that the tail goes into its mouth.
2. Push a cocktail stick up through the soft part of its under-mouth, through the tail and out through the top of the head. Season the fish inside and out with salt and pepper.
3. Coat the fish well on all sides in seasoned flour, then knock off the excess.
4. Dip the floured fish in beaten egg, making sure that it is well covered.
5. Finally, coat the fish in fresh white breadcrumbs, pressing them on well to make sure that it gets well covered with a thick, even coating.
6. Deep-fry the fish one at a time at 160°C (325°F) for 5 minutes until crisp, golden and cooked through.